Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Persistent World
Development Forum.

Welcome back, !

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tapping into the Power of PunBB

+3
Bunnay
Grayecastle
RecAgenda
7 posters

Do you wish to tap into the power of PunBB?

Tapping into the Power of PunBB Vote_lcap60%Tapping into the Power of PunBB Vote_rcap 60% [ 3 ]
Tapping into the Power of PunBB Vote_lcap0%Tapping into the Power of PunBB Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Tapping into the Power of PunBB Vote_lcap40%Tapping into the Power of PunBB Vote_rcap 40% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Default Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:15 pm

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
Admin

Okay, I think I will finally voice my opinion on this. I've hinted it to a few of the members that have PM'd me recently, but I think its time for a formal proposal.

First of all, you guys have opened up this development forum under one of the most flexible, open-canvas forum providers out there: Forumotion. Second, you have chosen the most flexible version of BB to work with: PunBB. Thirdly, you have a community of negative members practically working against the very existence of Persistent World on RpG.

Now, I've already stated that the precedent for having an off-site forum with connections to RpG has been set. You have done this by creating a development forum for the restructuring of a major RpG project. However, your goal is to restructure something on RpG (physically) when you do not have the administrative power to actually put the gears in motion. With all of the negativity currently being expressed by the member-base, I will have to say that the moderation will likely not approve of a fourth PW so easily.

Therefore, I formally propose that you use this board to not only develop, but temporarily host a beta PW as well. If you can attract enough interest for the beta program of PW here, then you will have a better shot of a full integration at roleplayerguild.com later on.

The primary reason why the three Persistent Worlds have failed in the past was not because of improper planning; but because of the fact that there was no area to perform a solid beta test. A direct integration into the rest of the forums was too much, too soon; and it sported a major lack of discipline and organization.

Now, let me direct your attention back to the fact that this is a Forumotion PunBB board.

You have absolutely no clue the power you now have at your finger tips.

In two hours, I've already taken your theme, correct some CSS kinks, replaced the hideous bright gray in the tables and posting fields, started up a basic Character Sheet for the profiles (which, yes, Forumotion provides the script for) and I've even fixed and repositioned the site description div to fit in that fancy header better.

Observe...[Click Me!]

What you are now seeing at my test site is a blank canvas, free for you to draw on and assimilate the true structure of Persistent World as if it were to be hosted on this forum.

With access to template editing you can completely personalize everything the individual user sees. That text that says "Logged as <username>. Your last visit was on Sat Apr 10, 20010 9:02 pm" can be changed to say "GTFO! I'm sleeping!" if you want it to.

I've already included a perks that I added myself using template editing. For instance, where it says "Welcome back, Anonymous" with "anonymous" acting as a link, will change to your username when you log in and allow you to view your public profile instantly.

This was done with the following code:

Code:
<br><b>Persistent World</b><br>Demo Version 1.0<br><br> Welcome back, {USERLINK}!

In the template, this code:

Code:
<!-- BEGIN switch_desc --><p id="pun-desc">{switch_desc.SITE_DESCRIPTION}</p><!-- END switch_desc -->

will recognize the simple HTML in the first line of code and give you that personal welcome.

While all of this may seem trivial to you, it is those small perks that can make a Persistent World seem both complex and comfortable to use at the same time to the average user. It allows your forum to stand out from the rest and it gives you far more control over how it looks.

Here are the things that can come in handy for PW if it is hosted on a Forumotion board:

Basic Features Include-
- RPG Character Sheet
- Dice Roll
- Points System
- Reputation System
- Thanks System
- Topic Calendar

Advanced Features Include-
- CSS Editing
- Template Editing
- Availability of JavaScript

All of the "basic features" can be refined, enhanced upon, or limited using template editing.

You have everything you need (and more with my connections) by using a Forumotion board. Therefore, why not initiate a beta here after more development is made and see how it goes? Its a lot safer that trying to re-initiate it fully at RpG. Especially with the level of negativity there is at the moment.

2Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Grayecastle

Grayecastle

You are correct the admins of RPG have not approved this and will not except it easily, I also DO think its a good idea to host a beta the felxiblility of this forum has already been demonstrated, thank you for your contribution and demonstration. We have decided tp create a 4 PW without permision and with the close minded heads of most everyone on RPG

3Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Bunnay

Bunnay
Mod
Mod

You already know I'm onboard for this, Hun (:

Brilliant idea, running a beta off-site will definately help.

http://roleplayerguild.com/members/bunnay

4Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:46 am

Hex

Hex
Admin

I Cant do all those HTML things but with some help I could.
I was actually thinking about adding a reputation system but I've never seen good use of it, people will rate down peoples suggestion posts and it's just not very nice.

Once we get everything basically finalised we can definitly do a PW on this forum but I'd prefer to progress straight on.
Also, lancrist said he was happy with us doing it so it should be fine.
Mahz hasn't logged on, I sent him a message though.

https://pwdev.rpg-board.net

5Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:35 am

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
Admin

Hex wrote:I Cant do all those HTML things but with some help I could.
I was actually thinking about adding a reputation system but I've never seen good use of it, people will rate down peoples suggestion posts and it's just not very nice.

Once we get everything basically finalised we can definitly do a PW on this forum but I'd prefer to progress straight on.
Also, lancrist said he was happy with us doing it so it should be fine.
Mahz hasn't logged on, I sent him a message though.

Like I said, all of those functions can be modified directly through the templates. I can make it so that people don't have a choice on how they "vote" on posts, cause the only
vote option available will be to vote it "up". Wink

The points system can be modified into a cash economy and I have several ideas for "stores". Forumotion doesn't offer I directly integrated store system to automatically spend points (if takes an admin logging in and manually subtract them from a user's account), but I know how to create a smooth-flowing store and economy now that I've had a good year to experiment with the system.

6Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:39 pm

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
Admin

Okay, Hex has granted me Admin rights in order to work my magic and adjust the look and feel of the board. I've made a few changes to the CSS (I haven't messed with the templates yet, those will come later) and I've activated the Quick Reply field for fast responding.

The only inconsistency I've noticed that is that the nav links look scrunched in Google Chrome. All of the other browsers seem fine when rendering it. I'll work on a patch for this and find the error.

7Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Rook

Well, I personally still disagree with a moneys systema nd am extremely against any type of dice rolling system for several reason that I could spend hours writing about but won't for now.
The entire idea is a good one though, I would even go as far as to say that we make an actual permenant PW on this type of forum just for easier navigation. One thing you will have to check with the mods back in RPG about is advertising once this Beta becomes ready.

8Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:34 pm

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
Admin

Rook wrote:One thing you will have to check with the mods back in RPG about is advertising once this Beta becomes ready.

Actually, that won't be a problem. I already have their support as a former moderator. And I've set the precedent for activities like this. I used to own RAP, as well Divine Intervention. Both of which operated off-site and on their own domains, but had a direct connection to RpG because they were meant for RpG. As long as that idea remains, you guys are safe.

9Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Hex

Hex
Admin

This is not going to carry on, on this site. It will be on the guild.

<br> <-------- I didn't put that there.

10Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Hex

Hex
Admin

How does this demo cash work? can I spend it?

11Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:12 pm

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
Admin

Hex wrote:This is not going to carry on, on this site. It will be on the guild.

<br> <-------- I didn't put that there.

It probably happened due to using the WSIWYG editor with the a/A button activated. Its a bug that happens because some geniuses at Forumotion decided to rip vBulletin's editor script rather than purchase it legally. XD If they're going to rip a script they might as well do it right and not leave it full of holes...

Hex wrote:How does this demo cash work? can I spend it?

They never activated a store system directly, so not exactly. Administrators can use the Points Donation in the ACP to add and subtract the points as they wish. A custom store (either a thread, or the flash example I provided in another thread) can be used to keep track of what users want to "buy" with their points.

EDIT:

Perhaps I should elaborate; I feel like I did a lowsy job there...

As an administrator, by going into ACP > Modules Tab > Points Donation; you can donate points to an entire "group" of users (like moderators, etc.) or you can type in a user's name, click OK, and enter the new total of points you wish for them to have.

12Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Hex

Hex
Admin

No its fine, I worked out how to do it.

13Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:31 pm

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
Admin

psst* You have "IP Poster" in the "Online" place. XD

14Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Hex

Hex
Admin

Oh yeh, [F-word].
I need to fix that, just trying to get inactive users to come back.

15Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Grayecastle

Grayecastle

So the demo cash is used for a store of some kind

16Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:37 pm

The Hallowed Fate

The Hallowed Fate

Oh, I wasn't aware we didn't already have the support of the staff of RpG. I had always thought it would be difficult to run the PW without any moderation power. Instead of making changes ourselves we have to ask the mods to. :'( The only problem will be generating enough intrest. As you said, the folks at Rpg are so negative they are almost against us, which is never a good thing.

17Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:21 pm

Hex

Hex
Admin

Lancrist practically approved it and Mahz hasn't replied yet.

18Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:17 pm

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
Admin

The Hallowed Fate wrote:The only problem will be generating enough intrest. As you said, the folks at Rpg are so negative they are almost against us, which is never a good thing.

That's when you can give them the proverbial finger. Cool

19Default Re: Tapping into the Power of PunBB Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Guru

Guru

It pains me to see how much they are against this...

They won't even give it a try. :/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum